Forum

Current status of the book Messier Astrophotography Reference  

RSS

Allan Hall
(@asadmin)
Member Admin
07/11/2013 11:55 am  

Back when I was shooting all the Messier objects, even before finishing my first book, Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography, I was keeping notes on shooting these targets. Since both the weather and my day job has kept me from making as much progress on my Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography book as I would like I decided to finish this one. This really should not impact the release of Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography.

Current status: First proofing
Expected completion date: November 30, 2013
Expected availabilty: December 1, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 354
Current word count: 28,000
Expected price: $16.99 US

Format: 7.5"x9.25" aiming for about 355 pages, color cover, B&W interior

Here is the current back cover blurb, subject to change:

From the author of Getting Started:Long Exposure Astrophotography and
Getting Started:Budget Astrophotography comes a book specifically aimed at helping beginning astrophotographers in North America capture some, or all of the Messier objects.

Finally, here is one resource you can use on your desk or take into the field providing information on each Messier object, the best time of year to shoot it, approximation of size of of the object in your final photo, shoot notes, star charts and more. To help you identify your targets and process your images each object is accompanied by a photo of what you can realistically expect to accomplish at the beginner to intermediate level.

Originally written to be used with the author's book Getting Started:Long Exposure Astrophotography, this book concentrates on the objects themselves with some specific tips to image them.

Shooting the Messier objects is a fantastic way to start or continue your astrophotography pursuits, and this book can help make that experience easier and more enjoyable.

Allan Hall
(@asadmin)
Member Admin
13/11/2013 9:02 pm  

The book has been proofed and has been sent up to the publisher for final checks. I expect a hard copy proof within a week or so and can see what all I missed 😀 Barring anything strange (stranger than normal that is), I am on schedule to have it go live on the 1st of December as planned.

Current status: Publisher proofing
Expected completion date: November 30, 2013
Expected availability: December 1, 2013

Current page count (includes unnumbered pages): 354
Current word count: 28,838
Expected price: $16.99 US

ReplyQuote
Allan Hall
(@asadmin)
Member Admin
23/11/2013 4:07 pm  

It is done! The book is available instantly at the following URL:

https://www.createspace.com/4525548

and will be on Amazon.com within 5-7 days.

I hope to have a small website up for it tomorrow, have a kindle edition of it in a month or so, and we continue to work on the next book, Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography.

Final page count (includes unnumbered pages): 356
Final word count: 28,921
Retail price: $16.99 US

ReplyQuote
danielmena
(@danielmena)
23/01/2014 9:55 am  

Hi, Allan. I like your book GETTING STARTED: LONG EXPOSURE ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY.
I´m interested in this one, but I would like the messier pictures in color. are there?

ReplyQuote
Allan Hall
(@asadmin)
Member Admin
23/01/2014 6:01 pm  

Unfortunately if I printed the interior in color it would have to sell for somewhere near $50 so I have them done in black and white. The Kindle version is in color if you have something that can read color Kindle books such as a Kindle Fire, iPad, etc.

Allan

ReplyQuote
Nikolay
(@nikolay)
06/07/2014 6:34 am  

Hello Allan! I was very satisfied by your book "Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography" kindle ver.
And i bought in magazine Barnes & Noble paperback vers of the "Messier Astrophotography Reference". After waiting of 1 month of shiping to Russia, i recieved your book and... Oh my God! This worse quality. All the pages is black and white with stripes and lines. Its very bad. If it be color, i'll pay more, but it will be great invest. Now, i'm very dissapointed. Nikolay.

ReplyQuote
Allan Hall
(@asadmin)
Member Admin
06/07/2014 3:48 pm  

Nikolay,

That's horrible! I can't believe the printers didn't see that. Have you contacted Barnes & Noble to see if they will replace it? Let me know.

As for a color version, there currently is not one. The reason is because these are "print on demand" books and they are reasonably priced for black and white but color ones are really expensive. To make a couple dollars off of it I would have to sell them for somewhere around $50 US each and I don't know many people who would be willing to pay that much. Sorry. I was trying to keep them affordable.

If I do decide to make a color version I will be sure to let you know.

Allan

PS. Be sure to let me know if B&N will replace the book. I would prefer they do it of course since it is obviously defective and if they replace it, it won't cost me anything but if they won't do it I will find a way to get you a better copy.

ReplyQuote
Nikolay
(@nikolay)
06/07/2014 6:29 pm  

Thank you Allan, for understanding. I already wrote to the B&N with pictures inside. To show the problem. I'm sorry for my bad review of it. With Best Wishes, Nikolay

ReplyQuote
Ranjan Mitra
(@ranjan-mitra)
23/12/2014 1:33 am  

Allan, just got your book Messier Astrophotography Reference. The black and white charts are not that bad. They are ok. All the charts are in b&w in 'Turn Left at Orion' ( I have a copy of this book). I find your book MAPR very helpful and appreciate your approach in three simple steps.
1. About the target
2. Where it is
3. Imaging the target.
I also have your
1. Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography and
2. Getting Started: Budget Astrophotography.
Both are good in their own way.

Ranjan

ReplyQuote
Share:

Share this post! Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Comments are closed.